Monday, January 11, 2010

Out With The Old

Around the first week or so of a new year, I usually get around to deleting old emails.  I had forgotten, though, that I had set up subfolders of my main email account.  I went through them today, and deleted most of what had accumulated, but when I came across a particular one (which I had forgotten I had saved), it brought to mind the fact that I haven't written in many moons.  The email in question was a screenshot of an anonymous post someone made on this blog a couple of years ago.  The post, I immediately deleted because it was sheer vitriol.  So why did I keep an email to myself of the screenshot?  I am clueless.

Of course, I don't know who made the post.  Someone more tech savvy than me could probably figure out how to find the IP address and track down the person who made the digital equivalent of writing on the wall of a bathroom stall.  But should I even care if the person wasn't brave enough to confront me?  From the language of the post, I think I know who did it, but at this late date, should I really care?  And why did I let it paralyze me?  I asked a mutual friend of the suspect, and was advised to "Just delete everything. Anything that hasn't served any purpose other than to make you happy, bring you great fortune, or to at least make your day go a bit more smoothly has absolutely no redeeming value...unless it is your motivation for something greater. In which case, frame it and read it every day."

It certainly hasn't been a motivation for me, so I agree that I need to delete it.  And I will.  And this advice is like a swift kick up the backside.  I need to jettison everything that is holding me back.  Projects that have gone years unfinished are going to be donated to Goodwill.  Books I haven't finished reading will be returned to their owners, even if I don't finish them.  And I'm going to make it my mission to get my frigging house clean, if it takes me until this time next year.

Hoarding, clutter, and disarray are just symptoms of a mind in chaos.  The only way to overcome mental stagnation is to forcefully remove it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brava!